A friend* sent me a cartoon from a recent issue.**
(click to enlarge, or download it as a PDF; direct link)
My friend asked what my thoughts were. I remarked that it reminded me of a Chick tract (for a classic Chick tract, click here : Where's Rabbi Waxman?). I then said that I wondered if this sort of cartoon is something new for Olomeinu, or perhaps these sorts of polemical messages basically flew over my head as a child** (related).
Agreeing that the latter is a possibility, my friend shared the thoughts which had occurred. Since there was little I disagree with, here are my friend's thoughts:
- asking a question = chutzpadik
- asking questions leads to going off the derech
- going to college is equated with becoming irreligious
- three college professors would be travelling together in one car to go to a lecture, as though they were bachurim going to a chasunah
- the antiquated depiction of the professors
- the phone call later admitting that the Gemara was right, and in fact, all of Torah was right
All in all, this little gem is not half as interesting as the pearl unearthed by Blog in Dm.
All in all, I'm sure there will be an article devoted to these rare pieces of early 21st century Judaic ephemera in the American Jewish Historical Society journal. Perhaps I'll even rate a footnote.
*Who will be named, either by first or both names, or initials, if s/ he wishes.
** I honestly don't remember message of this sort, but I suspect that this isn't a new cartoon, but a reprint. Some things about it smells 1970s and not 2000s.