Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Could the image of a 19th century Reform rabbi have been confused for a 16th century Talmudist and Kabbalist?

This is odd. In the תולדות רבנו מנחם עזריה מפאנו, which was published in 1903 there is an image of Rabbi Menachem Azariah of Fano (1548-1620).1

I don't think it requires any special expertise to recognize that this is a late portrayal. This was not drawn in the 17th century.



What's a bit odd is the following. Compare with pioneer of Reform Rabbi Aron Chorin:



I wonder.

1 See here for many of his works.

2 comments:

  1. they dont look the same, why cant this be a 17th cen painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look similar, but I'll grant the point.

    I'm not saying I'm a great art history expert, but I know enough art to feel confident in asserting that nothing about this painting looks 17th century.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
'